Thursday, September 29, 2022

Harvest Chili has pumpkin puree and cream cheese in it

I love to cook what I've named "Harvest Chili."

I usually fix this chili every Autumn during the months of October and November when the fall flavors are so prevalent and when the weather gets a chill in the air.  

The base of my Harvest Chili is pumpkin or butternut squash and cream cheese. I prefer a chili that has a really thick gravy to it because I like to be able to dip crusty bread in the sauce and have it stick to it. 

These ingredients make it soooo smooth and creamy and perfect for dipping in bread. Give my recipe a try- It's different but I think you'll love it! Also... I wish my photo had been better but as you can tell it's a bit blurry. I guess I moved when I took the picture. 😖

 Harvest Ingredients

  • 1 medium size butternut squash or 1 can pumpkin puree
  • 3 - yellow, red  & green bell peppers
  • 6 oz diced celery
  • 1 large potatoes
  • 1 large sweet onion diced
  • 1 finely grated carrot
  • 2 - 80z cream cheese
  • 1 can - Chicken or beef stock
  • 1 stick of butter
  • salt and pepper

Step 1: Cooking the harvest ingredients
  • Sautee diced onions, celery and bell peppers with butter in bottom of your soup pot.
  • When soft and translucent add your small diced potatoes and butternut squash (or 1 can of pumpkin).  Cover with all chicken stock and any water to cover all.
  • Cook on medium until all the veggies are soft and falling apart.
  • Use an emerging blender or put in an electric blender to blend smooth.
  • Add 2 8oz of cream cheese.
  • Stir until the cream cheese has melted and blended throughout the soup.
  • Turn on low - add water if needed

Step 2: Repairing the meat and seasoning
For this step you can use your favorite chili con carne/chili recipe or try this one-
Note: this recipe also works well with chicken instead of ground beef-
  • Brown 2 pounds of ground beef in large fry pan: drain all fat
  • Add this list of spices to meat and simmer for 30 minutes-
  • 1 quart cold water
  • 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 3 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
  • 2 bay leaves

Step 3:
  • Add 4 cans of beans - pinto, black beans, kidney beans, chili beans, or northern etc-
  • Add 1 or 2 large cans of tomatoes. I like lots of tomatoes
  • Remember to remove the bay leaves from the pot-

Step 4:
Combine everything into the pot of harvest ingredients and simmer for 1 hour-
Keep checking and adding water if chili is to thick
......................................................★☆★......................................................

This is what it looks like after you simmer the pumpkin and cream cheese in it. See how the color changed ~


My Closing Thoughts ~
  • Oh my gosh this post was involved. Gesh! It made me tired just writing the ingredients down. Ha! But once you start making it its not as bad as the long list looks. LOL! You will like the taste. The creaminess of the pumpkin and cream cheese makes it wonderful. Trust me. Wink ~
  • Or... just open 6 cans of your favorite chili and add a can of pumpkin and 1 block of cream cheese. Now that's what I'm talking about when I say EASY. hehehe!

 - "Live everyday like a holiday." Pam
......................................................★☆★......................................................

🛒 Chili Seasoning / https://amzn.to/3HW0CkQ
🛒 Can Chili / https://amzn.to/39SaPSV
.............................................................★☆★............................................................



No comments: