Sunday, July 24, 2022

Sunday Supper / pork roast, spaetzle and gravy


Do you eat German Spaetzle? Have you ever made it?

I did the German Spaetzle thing today and it wasn't too bad. Now rotisserie pork roast has always been a favorite of mine but I didn't grow up eating spaetzle, so this was a test dish for me. I found lots of pictures of what it was supposed to look like. All the recipes said it was like dumplings so that information enticed me because I did however grow up eating Southern dumplings cooked in its dumpling soup gravy and I loved that. So, I thought let's give it a try.

Now when I cook pork roast, I normally cook potatoes with it but today I let the spaetzle replace the potatoes. The recipe directions said to use a spaetzle board when making them. Well, I didn't have one of those, so I tried to use a small hole grater, but the holes were to small. So the directions said to use your fork and mash out bite size noodle-thingies. Well, that was a lot of work and even though it was fun it was taking me forever to make a bowl full and using my fork just didn't feel right. LOL~ So needless to say, I rolled out the remaining and cut that stuff with a crinkle roll knife. Ha! Ok so I cheated. Sorry but I passed on the traditional shape of spaetzle. Wait don't get mad at me. I did say I did some. I need that spaetzle board for sure though.

🛒 Spaetzle Boards

The taste wasn't too bad. 

I thought the flavor went well with pork, but I kept thinking it was to dry. Maybe that was because I had southern dumplings in my head. I think it would have been a failure for me if I hadn't of had the brown gravy to pore over it to give it more moisture. I also tossed some cheese on top of that too and it turned out better once I did that. Mushroom gravy would have been a good choice too, I think. 

Next time I make it I'm going to add some herbs in it. 

I tried to follow the directions of the recipe I was looking at since it was my first time making it, so I didn't veer from the original. But next time I know I'm going to add some fresh herbs. Maybe parsley, basil or chives, who knows. All in all, it tasted kinda like a dry chewie egg noodle thingie. I guess that's what it was. Again though, I'm very glad I had the gravy because this dish seems to be one you don't want to eat dry. And I know if I add a selection of herbs and spices it will taste much different next time. Maybe some garlic too~ 

Ok to sum it up... 

I went with a basic recipe for the first try. Next time I'm going to herb it up and also go with mushroom gravy and see how that changes things. So it didn't turn out perfect. Be it good or bad, sometime you just have to eat it with a big spoon. Wink~ Until next time everyone~ "Live everyday like a Holiday" Pam

No comments: