Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Corn on the Cob Cupcakes

It's National Buttered Corn Day (August 23) and what dessert is fit for this holiday you ask?? Well corn on the cob cupcakes with a pat of butter of courseee!

I've made these myself for a Fall Harvest party several years ago and forgot all about it until I ran across this photo when I was researching about National Buttered Corn Day. I remember I bought the yellow jelly beans at a candy store in the mall and they were called "buttered popcorn jellybeans" For the pat of butter I think I used flavored tootsie rolls but the photo says they used yellow starburst candy or yellow candy melts.

Such a cute idea don't you think? When I made them it for for a party of adults and I didn't have to worry about any children getting hurt by the corn cob handles on the side. These days though you can find corn cob handles that don't have the really sharp tips to them and if your still worried about it, just pull them out before you hand it over to a child.

You know, I bet this would be a fun project for the kids to do. They would get a kick out of putting the jelly beans all in row.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun idea! I'm going to do this with my kids! Thanks for the idea. Geri

Anonymous said...

I have a ladies garden club meeting tonight and this would take care of my dessert problem. The candy store where I'm at has jellybellies and I CAN do this project! I think the ladies would be impressed when I tell them its National Butter Corn Day. Thank you for a fun post.

Anonymous said...

First time visiting this blog. A friend emailed the link and said to look at the corn on the cob. I collect everything cornie and this cupcake idea will be a hit at my house.
Great blog by the way.
Janice, Ohio girl

Anonymous said...

Why are you people up so early?

Anonymous said...

It's not early here. We are 17 hours ahead of America. Aussie Time

Anonymous said...

I need a blog of my own so I can talk about dumb stuff like cupcakes

Gone-ta-pott said...

And I think you need to go get on the school bus!

Anonymous said...

Mrs Pam! LOL!

Gone-ta-pott said...

"Go eat some corn with butter on top and you'll feel much better." Add salt but leave off the pepper cause your a bit on the spicy side this morning! LOL! But thanks for the private message ;)

Anonymous said...

OMG! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Whats so wrong with cupcake blogging? Works for me.I bet you would eat one if it was offered to you. Go Cupcakes!
Sassie/England

Anonymous said...

Happy Buttered Corn Day!
Glad to see you back from down time.
Barry

Sharon said...

This is a great cupcake. I think I'll make it and take it to work for tea time.

Misty said...

I can't find yellow jelly beans. Any ideas on another yellow candy someone?

Diana said...

What a neat idea. I'm going to try making these and surprise the kids when they come home from school. I'll let you know how they turn out.