Sunday, August 23, 2009

National Buttered Corn Day!


Buttered Corn
Originally uploaded by Al Franken for Senate
August 23rd means it's Buttered Corn Day and I don't know about you but I could make a pig of myself with buttered sweet corn. Especially if it's cooked on the grill. Even if it's not, just give me a bowl of hot corn and melted butter with a big fat spoon and I'm happy.

I was reading about the Health benefits of corn and wikipedia says "
Cooked sweet corn has significant antioxidant activity, which can substantially reduce the chance of heart disease and cancer. " Cooked sweet corn retains its antioxidant activity, The scientists measured the antioxidants' ability to quench free radicals, which cause damage to the body from oxidation. Cooked sweet corn also releases increased levels of ferulic acid, which provides health benefits, such as battling cancer. "When you cook it, you release it, and what you are losing in vitamin C, you are gaining in ferulic acid and total antioxidant activity.""

Nice health benefits! So lets eat more corn!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

This holiday was blogged in several blogs last year but not much information about it this year. This is an American holiday yes?

Anonymous said...

Nobody but America would make a holiday about buttered corn. But if they didn't I wouldn't be obsessed with food blogs.
Candi in Canada

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cornbread Eater said...

In honor of buttered corn I think we should eat cornbread with butter!

This link has a recipe from another blog.

Nancy said...

This has made me want corn for dinner. I like to serve it with melted cheese on top. My girls love it.

Greg said...

It's Sunday afternoon and a great time to grill corn on the grill for the family.

Connie said...

My favorite meal is chicken, mashed potatoes and buttered corn! Happy Buttered Corn Day to all!

Anonymous said...

Stephen and Pam are you cooking buttered corn today? LOL

Gone-ta-pott said...

Wellllll as a matter-ah-fact we are! LOL! Tomorrow is Stephens birthday and he has to work a double so we are having his birthday supper today. The menu is baked chicken cooked in red wine, italian dressing and butter- then smothered in onions and mushrooms- then topped with melted white cheese (swiss) on top. Buttered potatoes on the side with buttered corn. It may be a bit over kill on the butter for one menu.?

Lucy said...

I fry my corn in butter, salt and paprika.

Anonymous said...

this is funny!! love it!

Unknown said...

Your blog is superb, what a great idea!

voyance gratuite par Email