Sunday, April 13, 2008

Daisy Flower Month

Daisies Originally uploaded by Dave Ward Photography
What fond memories I have of walking through patches of wild daisies when I was young girl. I use to get a big kick out of laying in the middle of them and watching the wind blow the tall stems all around my head. I always think of this every April when "Daisy Flower Month" rolls around. I think daisies are really pretty. I only wish they smelled as good as they look. Birth Flowers Just as each month has its own gemstone, each month also has its own traditional birth flower appropriate for the month and season. For the month of April, the birth flower is Daisies. Take a look at a complete list of Flowers of the Month. When I was doing my research about Daisies for my website, I found that there are over 1000 varieties of Daisies. Wow that's a lot! The daisy family is one of the largest in the botanical world. Many popular garden plants, such as chrysanthemums, marigolds, dahlias, sunflowers and asters, are all part of the daisy family. The true daisy is bellis perennis; the ox-eye daisy and marguerite are technically chrysanthemums. Some daisies even have healing properties. The Bellis perennis variety is known to be an astringent in folk medicine. For those who don't know what an astringent is, here's the definition for you. Astringent: An astringent (also spelled adstringent) substance is a chemical that tends to shrink or constrict body tissues, usually locally after topical medicinal application. The word "astringent" derives from Latin astringere, meaning "to bind fast".
April 13, 2008
It's New Year all over again! It's the first day of the Thai and Cambodian New Year!
Now before I go..... here's some fun stuff for everyone. Today In History April 13, 1796 1st elephant arrives in U.S. from India April 13, 1796 Battle at Millesimo Italy: Napoleon beats Austrians. April 13, 1933 1st flight over Mount Everest by Lord Clydesdale April 13, 1933 Stanley Cup: New York Rangers beat Toronto Maple Leafs, 3 games to 1 Todays Joke
A man was driving down a quiet country lane when out into the road
  strayed a rooster. Whack! The rooster disappeared under the car in a
  cloud of feathers.
 
  Shaken, the man pulled over at the farmhouse and rang the doorbell. A
  farmer appeared. The man somewhat nervously said, "I think I killed
  your rooster, please allow me to replace him."
 
  "Suit yourself," the farmer replied, "the hens are round the back."
Fun Fact Did you know the original color of Cocoa Cola was green? Make everyday a Holiday! Pam~

No comments: