Sunday, September 19, 2021

Munch for Lunch / My Sunday Sausage Boil


 Munch for Lunch

Sometimes I like to share with you my munch for lunch. I like to show you what I'm eating for the day and a bit of information about the food. I for one love to see what everyone is eating and how it's prepared. So here's what I cooked and enjoyed for lunch. "My Sunday Sausage Boil."

Just a relaxed meal prep

Now this meal is my Sunday meal so it's a bit more exciting than a sandwich. LOL - On Sunday, I seem to be more relaxed so I enjoy making a meal that takes a bit more time to prepare and cook than any other day of the week. I like to walk around with my cup of coffee or tea and chop a bit, drink more coffee, peal a few potatoes, drink more coffee, peal my carrots, pore more coffee, stir the boiling pot, pore more coffee. In fact, after each hot tea or coffee refill I do I stir the pot. ~Smile~ Just a relaxed meal prep.

I was in the mood for a sausage boil today. 

Now I don't know what you like to add to YOUR sausage boil, but what I had in my kitchen for today was sausage, cabbage, carrots, potatoes, and onions. I love it with parsnips and rutabagas too but I think that makes it a root boil. ??? ~Smile~ Now a sausage boil is a slowwww rolling boil. You don't want the boil to bust the veggies all to pieces.

I love the flavors of all these veggies mixed together.

 It's a lot like soup but it's large chunks of veggies instead of small chopped veggies. I really love how the sausage flavors the boil water. You know how sausage has that greasy spicy flavor. It's great! I always add 1/2 stick of butter to the boil too. You have to have butter when you cook with potatoes and cabbage yes?! Gotta have some oil in the water too. Might as well add some chicken stock while your at it. LOL

Now cabbage is already in the boil but for some reason I like cold coleslaw (which is cabbage) on the side. I usually chop 1/2 a head of cabbage for the boil and the other 1/2 I use for cold coleslaw. Now I like to make creamy coleslaw. I like it made with mayo, sour cream. Bring on the spoonful of sugar too. Sometimes I add a splash of vinegar to it but I'm not making sour vinegar coleslaw, I'm making creamy sweet coleslaw. Yummy!

Cornbread for soppin'

When I make a sausage boil, I always want crumbly cornbread as the bread I serve with it. There's just something yummy about soppin' the super seasoned boil water with cornbread. Now I like to cook both sweet and savory cornbread but with the sausage I prefer having savory over sweet for this meal. Savory cornbread is perfect when you scoop a spoonful of sweet coleslaw on it and take a bite. Yummy!

A filling and satisfying meal

There's my "Munch for Lunch". A very filling and satisfying meal for sure. Don't forget your favorite sides like .... sliced cold onions... hot peppers.... or sweet pickles. Cold purple beets are a nice touch too.

Happy Sunday, Love Pam

No comments: