Monday, June 27, 2022

Healthy Salmon and steamed veggies & then there's the Cream Sauce


When you try to go healthy, but you know how good a delicious cream sauce would be on top of fresh Salmon.

I can't tell you how many times I've tried to go healthy and cooked a salmon steak with healthy steamed veggies on the side and arranged it so beautifully in the plate... then taken 2 bites and said.... "I can't do this." LOL! Then I quickly simmered together a cream sauce to pour over my salmon. I mean really!!! "I can't waste this taste opportunity". I can't get the idea out of my head. Ha~

Then I pore the cream sauce on the plate, and look at it, I know how yummy that same cream sauce is when it's poured over potatoes. (yep, I was going for a healthy meal and intentionally planed to leave out the potatoes.) You guessed it. If I've got the sauce I need those potatoes so I cook them too. When my belly is full I'm in supper time heaven. That's how it always is when I try to cook healthy salmon with steamed veggies. The cream sauce gets me every time.

My Creamy Wine Sauce for Salmon
  • Start by heating 2 tablespoon of Alvacado oil, olive oil or vegetable oil and 2 tablespoons of butter in a fry pan. (yes more butter if you want)
  • Add 4 small salmon fillets skin side down.
  • Pan sear both sides of salmon for 2 minutes on each side.
  • Turn fillets back over to skin side down.
  • Then add the crushed garlic and stir. (medium heat)
  • Add 1/4 cup white wine & stir. (medium heat) Yes you can leave it out.
  • Then add your 1/4 cup chicken stock and stir. (medium heat)
  • Now briefly remove the salmon fillets from the skillet.
  • Now pore 1/3 cup of heavy cream and stir. (medium heat)
  • Now pore 1/3 cup of yogurt and stir. (medium heat)
  • Add 1/4 mayonnaise and stir. (low heat)
  • Add 3 T of parmesan cheese. (low heat)
  • Add salt & pepper to taste.
  • Simmer sauce to thicken... maybe 3 minutes
  • Now choose / either put salmon back in sauce and baste it / or pore over salmon steaks on plate / or pore up in dipping cups

Here's the best tip for anyone making this sauce.

Learn to "Just Use What You've Got!" It really doesn't matter about the liquid part. If you have more than 1 just use it, If you have less than 1 then use it. Just remember you do need some kind of cream for the recipe. Afterall it's not a cream sauce without the cream. Wink~ If you hate yogurt then leave it out. The taste will always turn out great no matter. If you want more butter then use it. If you don't have it then leave it out. If you love sweet wine then use it. If your against wine all together then leave it out. You don't have parmesan cheese? Well what kind of cheese do you have? Use it. Just remember to only change the portions slightly.

When you work with what you've got... the thickness will change slightly and the flavor will change slightly but all of the above will taste great. One day you make it and it will be thick, the next day you make it, it will be thinner. That's how it works when you use what you've got. I'm a home cook and I'm not precise. I cook by what I've got, I cook by what I like the most and I cook by what I'm craving for the day. lol!

Now here's where you decide if you want fresh herbs.

You can eat the dish right now as a cream sauce or as a creamy wine sauce or you can go another step & add fresh herbs for a creamy herb sauce. You can also add 1/2 cup of spinach to the sauce and simmer for a cream spinach sauce. Here's where you decide what you're craving.
  • Add 1 T of lemon thyme from your garden or zest of lemon and stir.
  • Add 1/2 T parsley and stir.
  • Add 1/2 T basil and stir.
  • Add 1/2 T of dill if you want a dill flavor and stir. (low heat)
  • Yes, you can add them all if you want. lol
Put salmon back in skillet and simmer for 2 minutes.
......................................................★☆★......................................................

My Closing Thoughts ~
  • Cream sauces are really good as a hot bread dip for a party too. Just keep in a small crock pot on low and let your guest ladle it out. Offer several types of bread. Here's a party idea that I posted last week called "No fuss entertaining with 4 Breads and 4 Cheeses". This sauce would work for a party like that too.
  • Also... don't get cream sauce for fish & seafood mixed up with butter sauce for fish & seafood. They are both yummy but different. I will do a post for you guys in the future of some butter sauce recipes that I have. I think you would enjoy that too.
I hope this was helpful - "Live everyday like a holiday." Pam
......................................................★☆★......................................................

🛒 Cream Sauce / https://amzn.to/3ymZ3cp
🛒 Butter Sauce / https://amzn.to/3QNLCcJ
.............................................................★☆★............................................................

No comments: