Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Oatmeal Cream Pie Recipe


oatmeal cream pies
Originally uploaded by tofu666

I'm not sure what it is but I have to make oatmeal cream pie cookies every October. I do have a memory of going trick-or-treating as a kid; and getting them in my bag so maybe that's where it comes from. I guess it's sparking up memories of fun and eating from my childhood. giggle~

As a kid I loved little debbies oatmeal snack cakes. Mother would buy them and put them in Daddy's lunch sometimes. If I was good I would get one as an afternoon snack.

Little Debbies calls them cakes but when you search for recipes you find them listed under cookies. Over the years I have tried many recipes but I find this recipe is the closest taste to little debbies. You will find recipes for butter cream  fillings but I must have the marshmallow cream recipe myself. It's fantastic! Be it called a cookie or cake it makes my table every October. And what better way to celebrate National Cookie Month than by making these wonderful treats.

In celebration of Halloween 
If I'm hosting a Halloween party or having company over I like to add orange food coloring to the filling to make it more Halloweenish. Sometimes I even pipe a chocolate spider web on top too. I don't think I have to tell you how fantastic the flavors of chocolate and marshmallows are now do I. wink~

Cookie Ingredients
1 cup margarine
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cups quick oats

Cream Filling Ingredients
2 teaspoons very hot water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow cream
1/2 cup shortening
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Preparation

1. In large bowl, cream margarine, sugars, molasses, vanilla, and eggs.
2. Combine flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.
3. Add to the creamed mixture; mix in the oats.
4. Drop dough by TBS on ungreased sheets. (I used a small cookie scoop.)
5. Bake at 350 degrees F.
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes,or until just starting to brown around the edges.
7. They will look moist; don’t overcook.
8. While the cookies bake prepare the filling.
9. In small bowl, dissolve the salt in the hot water.
10. Allow this to cool.
11. Combine marshmallow cream, shortning, powdered sugar, and vanilla in med bowl; mix on hi until fluffy.
12. Add the cooled salt water and mix well.
13. Spread filling on flat side of one cookie, press 2nd cookie on top.

Cooks Note
Make sure you melt the salt in the water. If you skip this step I find the treats will taste saltier. wink~
Here's a good oatmeal cream pie recipe with buttercream filling.

1 comment:

susane said...

Hey great post. I have to learn a lot from this post. Thank you for sharing.

voyance gratuite immediate