Monday, January 22, 2018

Basic Blondie Brownie Recipe

Blondie with strawberry and rhubarb
Hello hello! Pam here! I mentioned in my last post that I would look for a basic blonde brownie recipe and here it is.

Photo at left : Blondie with strawberries, rhubarb and ice cream on top. This photo is a good example of how a simple blondie can be made special by adding fresh fruit on top. Yum!

What is a Blondie?
blondie is essentially a brownie variant - a dense cake with butterscotch being the predominant flavor instead of chocolate. Characteristics to strive for include a rich, buttery flavor with good balance between sweetness and saltiness, moist texture, and a golden blonde appearance. This recipe should provide good foundation for further experimentation if you are so inclined.

Ingredients

Procedure

  1. Preheat oven to 325°F (170°C).
  2. Dry toast the chopped pecans until fragrant and slightly colored. This can either be done in a dry skillet on the stove top over medium high heat while stirring frequently or else by roasting the nuts in the oven on a cookie sheet while you prepare the batter. The stove top method is faster but requires more attention. It is also possible to buy dry toasted nuts instead of raw to avoid this step. The pecans should be crunchy and nutty, not rubbery or mealy.
  3. In a small bowl stir together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
  4. In a large bowl, stir the melted butter, brown sugar, and vanilla until uniform, breaking any large lumps of sugar.
  5. Beat in egg until creamy.
  6. Gently fold in flour mixture. When flour is nearly incorporated, gently fold in toasted pecans. Do not overmix.
  7. Spread mixture into buttered 8"x8" (20cm x 20cm)baking dish.
  8. Bake @ 325°F (170°C) for 30 minutes or until desired doneness.
  9. Let cool and cut into bars.
..........................................................................................................................................

In Closing:
There are many many many blondie brownie recipes all over the internet but your not allowed to copy and share the famous or most popular ones for blog posts. But.... I found this basic recipe at wikipedia and decided to post this one since there was a share-a-like license on it. I was able to copy and paste the whole thing for you guys. Again.... this is a basic recipe you can build on.

Now..... while clicking through amazon I found this cute little 5 inch cast iron skillet with enough mix for one delicious skillet brownie. I have the picture on the right of the page. This would be a cute little "thinking of you" gift. I myself love my brownies baked in cast iron because I like the crispy edges that it makes. I like the even heat too. But!!! It will burn if you don't keep an eye on it. LOL!
Many people rather use the no stick silicone brownie pans like the one I'm showing here. I have one of these myself but I will be honest... I don't use it that often. I love the no stick idea but .... I don't know, it don't seem to get as crispy as I like it. But having said that..... brownies don't burn as easy as they will in the cast iron from my experience either. Am I wrong about that? And the main reason I don't use the silicone is because it's very flimsey. I have dropped so many by forgetting that it's sicone and only picking it up on one side. ha ha ha! Try not to do that if you get yourself one.

Ok my friends..... love to you all. 
.......................................................................................................................................

Helpful Links:

No comments: