I wanted to pass on this Pillsbury photo & recipe because as far as a chocolate cake goes... you can't get any better than this. I say this because I enjoy the flavor of hazelnut mixed with chocolate & this recipe uses a whole 16oz. bottle of hazelnut coffee creamer. It also has a 8oz. pack of cream cheese & those who know me well know I cook lots with cream cheese. Last but not least, nuts & chocolate just go together & this recipe has a touch of chopped hazelnuts too.
RECIPE: Mocha-Hazelnut Cream-Filled Cake
- 1 box (18.25 oz) butter recipe chocolate cake mix
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules or crystals
- 2 bags (12 oz each) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 bottle (16 oz) refrigerated hazelnut-flavor coffee creamer
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts (filberts)
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottoms only of two 9-inch round pans. Prepare cake mix as directed on box using butter, water and eggs and adding coffee granules; pour batter into pans. Bake as directed on box. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans and place on wire racks.
2. In 3-quart saucepan, cook chocolate chips and coffee creamer over medium-low heat about 8 minutes, stirring constantly, until melted. Remove from heat; beat in cream cheese with wire whisk until smooth. Cover; refrigerate about 30 minutes.
3. In small microwavable bowl, reserve 1/2 cup of the chocolate mixture; set aside for topping. Beat remaining mixture on medium-high speed 8 minutes or until it forms a light and fluffy frosting.
4. Place 1 cake layer on serving plate, rounded side down. Spread 1-inch-thick layer of frosting over cake. Top with second cake layer, rounded side up. Spread frosting on side and top of cake.
5. Microwave reserved 1/2 cup chocolate mixture on High 30 seconds or until soft; spread over top of cake. Sprinkle hazelnuts around top edge. Cover loosely; refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Store in refrigerator.