Sunday, January 28, 2018

Here's My Mother's Starter Blueberry Sauce recipe

On my last post "Blueberry Sauce and it's Many Uses" I talked about my mothers Blueberry Sauce. So for this post I wanted to share her simple blueberry sauce recipe.

I said in my last post..."When I was a kid my Daddy had a beautiful blueberry garden with many different varieties of blueberry bushes and Mother had to find many ways to use up all the blueberries that the garden produced. She put them in everything from lemonade, sweet cobblers, swirled in streusel cakes and brownies, breads, flavored butters to sauces for meats. To this day; every time I see a blueberry I think of Mother and Daddy's hard work and all the versatile ways this beautiful fruit was used."
...........................................................................................................................................

Here's My Mothers Starter Blueberry Sauce Recipe
  • 2 cups of blueberries
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • tsp lemon juice
~~~Combine all / stir/ bring to boil / turn down to medium low / simmer for 15 or 20 minutes. Simmering for longer makes a thicker sauce. It pops open the berries and they break down to a thicker sauce. Depending on what she was using the sauce for... she sometimes would put a touch of vanilla flavoring or almond flavoring in the sauce. I even saw her back off of the water some and use orange juice or coffee. If she was using Daddy's fresh blueberries from the garden... she would sometimes dust the berries with cornstarch. If she was making a sauce for meat, she would back off the sugar and use beef stock or chicken stock instead of water and add a few herbs to the simmer. 

Her sauce would always be deep dark and thick. I loved it! Pam
.....................................................................................................................................
photo resource: wikipediaoriginally posted to Flickr as Goats Curd Cheese Cake - Giant Steps Winery AUD11 - photo by Julia

No comments: