Saturday, November 12, 2011

Oatmeal Pie Recipe

Last night I made an oatmeal pie with walnuts and coconut (my photos below) and today I wanted to share the recipe that was shared with me by a Mennonite woman about 20 years ago. With this pie I cut out little leaves for the crust edges.


This recipe brings back fond memories of a bright sunny day
while driving the back roads and getting lost. Really lost. No where near town. But believe it or not we drove up on a little horse pulled wagon in the middle of no where with a lady and a table full of fresh baked pies and homemade bread.

This sweet lady happily shared an hour of cooking conversation and lovingly shared her pie recipes too.
Read the whole story here: The first time I ever ate an oatmeal pie


Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup
  • 3/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup coconut
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 2 eggs, well beaten
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 homemade pastry shell- unbaked
  • hand full of any nuts (she used walnuts or pecans) mixed in or sprinkled on top


Directions

  • Combine sugar, corn syrup, oats, coconut, chopped nuts, butter, eggs and vanilla. Pour into crust. Sprinkle nuts on top. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes. 
  • The secret she said was to let it sit on top of the stove for 30 minutes before baking! You don't read that in any recipes. Really! Just do it! It softens the coconut and oatmeal. :)
  • She said you can add the nuts in the mix or if you want the nuts to sit on top of the pie to be pretty, just evenly sprinckle them on top after you've pored your pie in the pie shell.


Decorating
Her pies were not decorated but since it's the Fall Season I thought I would make this recipe my own by cutting out a few leaves with cookie cutters and dress up the edges of my pie. I love how festive it looks and I even added the dough scraps to the middle of the pie too. 

Use up any leftover dough:
I make sure to bake any left over leaves in the oven that doesn't fit on the pie. I cover them with butter and honey or sugar. It makes a beautiful tray of sweet dough leaves for some sweet pop in the mouth crunch.

This really is a favorite pie for me and every time I eat it I think of that sweet young lady.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

No comments: