Various recipes for potato pancakes vary in the degree of fineness to which the potatoes are grated. Some are grated to long strips, others to a fine powder. Both latkes and potato pancakes bear a distant resemblance to the American dish, hash browns; however, hash browns are merely coarsely grated potatoes with no binding ingredients or flour.
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons Matzo meal, cornmeal, or flour
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- applesauce, sour cream, and/or sugar
- Peel potatoes and onion and grate.
- Mix potato and onion with egg, meal, and salt.
- Heat oil in a 10" pan over medium heat until it is quite hot. Drop 1-2 tablespoons of the potato mixture onto the pan per pancake. Turn once to allow both sides to fry.
- Serve with applesauce, sour cream, and/or sugar as a topping.
Notes, tips, and variations
- Variants include cheese latkes, zucchini latkes, and apple latkes.