Friday, December 02, 2011

National Fritters Day

December 2 is National Fritters Day each and every year! 
A fritter is any kind of food coated in batter and deep fried. Although very similar to a doughnut it differs in the fact that it requires some base ingredient beyond the dough it is cooked with.

Guys I really have to tell you... when I say this is a favorite treat of mine I mean it. This is "really" a favorite of mine. I love very crispy cooked apple fritters and I really do enjoy making them myself. I will share the recipe that I make with you at the bottom of this post ok.

The first time I ate a fritter... was on vacation with my parents in Tennessee. Before that we had never even heard of a fritter. I still remember how my whole family stood outside a little deep fry stand and ate a brown paper sack full of apple fritters. Yep they bagged them in brown paper bags. (It helped to absorb the grease) A great memory for me.

In the United States..., fritters are small cakes made with a primary ingredient that is mixed with an egg and milk batter and either pan-fried or deep-fried; wheat flour, cornmeal, or a mix of the two may be used to bind the batter. " Corn fritters" are often made with whole canned corn and are generally deep-fried. "Apple fritters" are well known, although the American apple fritter is unlike the British one. Clam cakes and crab cakes are varieties of fritter too. Did you know that? Another regional favorite is the " zucchini fritter." Although I have never tried it before.

My Apple Fritter Recipe

1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup milk
1 egg
1 cup finely chopped apple
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted

Sift together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Add milk and egg; beat until batter is smooth. Fold in chopped apple. Drop by teaspoonfuls into deep hot oil -- about 370° and at least 2 1/2 to 3 inches deep -- and fry for about 2 to 3 minutes, until nicely browned.
Drain well on paper towels then I like to dip them in a thin coat of sugar glaze. Some folks roll them in confectioners' sugar while still warm. Serve as is or warm. I sometimes mix up a bowl of sweet cream cheese for dipping them in. Other people like to dip them in syrup. To be honest, their perfect as they are and don't need a dip. 

Note: Make sure your oil is hot hot hot! There's nothing worse than a greasy fritter.
resources: national fritters day / gone-ta-pott.com / wikipedia / encyclopedia /

No comments: