Blackstrap molasses, or simply blackstrap, is the dark, viscous molasses remaining after maximum extraction of sugar from raw sugar cane.
Benefits and uses of Blackstrap Molasses for your health:
- A rich source of iron, blackstrap molasses is of great significance to menstruating women, who are at higher risks of iron deficiencies. Iron, being an integral component of hemoglobin, helps in transporting oxygen from lungs to all body cells. Additionally, iron is also significant for energy production and metabolism. It fulfills the daily requirement of iron in lactating mothers and growing children.
- Enriched with calcium, blackstrap molasses help in performing various physiological activities, including the ability of the heart and other muscles to contract, blood clotting, conducting nerve impulses to and from the brain, regulation of enzyme activity and cell membrane function.
- The calcium present in blackstrap molasses is also significant for the formation and maintenance of strong bones and teeth during youth and adolescence. It prevents the loss of bone during menopause and assists in treating rheumatoid arthritis. Its ability of binding and removing toxins from the colon reduces the risk of colon cancer and prevents migraine attacks.
- Blackstrap molasses contains copper which is an essential constituent of many enzymes, thereby playing a vital role in various physiological processes, including iron utilization, elimination of free radicals, development of bone and connective tissue and production of the skin and hair pigment called melanin. Regular consumption of blackstrap molasses helps in preventing problems caused due to deficiency of copper, such as ruptured blood vessels, osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, brain disturbances, irregular heartbeat and increased susceptibility to infections.
- Essential trace elements like manganese are also found in blackstrap molasses which helps in producing energy from protein and carbohydrates, and is involved in the synthesis of fatty acids that are important for a healthy nervous system. Further, it is essential for the production of cholesterol that is used by the body to produce sex hormones.
- Manganese present in blackstrap molasses helps in regulating nerve and muscle tone, the lack of which can cause calcium to enter and force the nerve cells to become over-activated, thereby sending too many messages and causing excessive contraction. Deficiency of magnesium can also result in high blood pressure, muscle spasms, migraine headaches, muscle cramps, tension, soreness and fatigue.
- Utilization of iron, development of bones and connective tissues, production of melanin which produces skin and hair pigment, and elimination of free radicals from the body are effectively carried by the nutrient copper, found in blackstrap molasses. Apart from taking care of these processes, copper is also necessary for preventing anemia, elevating bad cholesterol, fluctuating heartbeats and increasing the risk of infections.
- Ulcers, psoriasis, varicose veins, dermatitis, rheumatism, benign tumors, anxiety, constipation and heart palpitations are some other ailments that are successfully treated with the consumption of blackstrap molasses.
- source of Fulvic Acid.
- Good for hair - One serving (two tablespoons) of blackstrap contains approximately 14 percent of our RDI of copper, an important trace mineral whose peptides help rebuild the skin structure that supports healthy hair. Consequently, long-term consumption of blackstrap has been linked to improved hair quality, hair regrowth in men and even a restoration of your hair's original color! Click here for more information about blackstrap's hair benefits.
- Safe sweetener for diabetics - Unlike refined sugar, blackstrap molasses has a moderate glycemic load of 55. This makes it a good sugar substitute for diabetics and individuals who are seeking to avoid blood sugar spikes. Moreover, one serving of blackstrap contains no fat and only 32 calories, making it suitable for a weight loss diet.
- Laxative qualities - Blackstrap is a natural stool softener that can improve the regularity and quality of your bowel movements. Wikiwell